When you are right in the midst of a dental emergency you may not even have the ability to think. Dental emergencies in Highlands Ranch, Colorado can range anywhere from someone slipping in the shower and busting out a tooth, your child getting in a sporting accident or even extreme pain in a tooth. Highlands Ranch Family Dental has a few key things to do when you are faced with a dental emergency.
Highland Ranch Family Dental’s Tips on What to do in a Dental Emergency?
Accidents happen, and knowing what to do when one occurs can mean the difference between saving and losing a tooth.
Here are some tips for common dental emergencies:
- For a knocked-out permanent or adult tooth, keep it moist at all times. If you can, try placing the tooth back in the socket without touching the root. If that’s not possible, place it in between your cheek and gums, in milk, or use a tooth preservation product that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance. Then, get to your dentist’s office right away.
- For a cracked tooth, immediately rinse the mouth with warm water to clean the area. Put cold compresses on the face to keep any swelling down.
- If you bite your tongue or lip, clean the area gently with water and apply a cold compress.
- For toothaches, rinse the mouth with warm water to clean it out. Gently use dental floss to remove any food caught between the teeth. Do not put aspirin on the aching tooth or gum tissues.
- For objects stuck in the mouth, try to gently remove with floss but do not try to remove it with sharp or pointed instruments.
When you have a dental emergency, it’s important to visit your Highlands Ranch Family dentist or an emergency room as soon as possible.
Here are some simple precautions you can take to avoid accident and injury to the teeth:
- Wear a mouthguard when participating in sports or recreational activities.
- Avoid chewing ice, popcorn kernels, and hard candy, all of which can crack a tooth.
- Use scissors, NEVER your teeth, to cut things.
Most dentists reserve time in their daily schedules for emergency patients. Call your Highlands Ranch Family Dental and provide as much detail as possible about your condition.
Need to schedule now: Fill out the form below.